Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Can Guinea Pigs Eat Chinese Broccoli?

This food has multiple names, including Chinese broccoli, Chinese kale, Kai-lan and gai-lan. The literal meaning of it's Chinese name is "mustard orchid." We had previously tried broccolini, which is a hybrid between regular broccoli and Chinese broccoli, but never actual Chinese broccoli.

While guinea pigs can eat Chinese broccoli, you should only feed it to us occasionally in reasonable portions because it's a gassy food. We're going to say 1-2 times per week because that's how often most of the related vegetables (such as kale and Brussels sprouts) should be fed. This means that there's probably going to be more Chinese broccoli in the refrigerator than we can safely eat, so you should probably find a human recipe for Chinese broccoli and let them eat your leftovers.

Here's what Chinese broccoli looks like. The humans gave us about half of this (for 3 piggies).
Time to dig in!
Yum!
Back off, Buffy! It's mine!
Another delicious leafy green vegetable! We give Chinese broccoli 5/5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome I looked up Calin which is how it’s spelled on the bunch I bought, before I purchased this for my piggies, I’ve seen several different versions of the name since, thank you for this info , greatly appreciate it, I never want to give something to my girls,Charlie, Luna, Pip and piglet , that could harm them I feed veggies twice a day they love their veggies! All types but sort of demand their green leafy πŸ₯¬ vegetables πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜

    ReplyDelete